Friday, May 15, 2015

DIY: Photo Printed Candles


Last week was Mothers Day, and usually my mom's birthday is around that sunday also. I knew I had to make her something creative to try and top what I did last year, so, of course, I turned to my trusty pinterest account and search "mothers day DIY". After some scrolling, an image of a candle caught my attention. I tried to find the version of this DIY that was actually doable with the materials we already had in the house. So finally I created my own version of the Photo Printed Candle DIY and here is how I did it!

Materials

Candle (the candle should be white or at least light enough for the image to show up on. Also the surface space of the candle should be big enough for the image).
Tissue Paper (will take the color of your candle)
Scissors
Scotch Tape
Hair Dryer
Printer and Printer Paper
Wax Paper


Step 1

Find the image you want to print onto your candle, and scale it to the size you want. I dragged my image to a pages (aka word) document and pasted it four times just in case one doesn't print well.




Step 2

Cut a piece of tissue paper to be a bit larger than the size of printer paper. Then Wrap it around the printer paper and tape the edges down (this part is very important because the last thing you want is tissue paper stuck in your printer).



Step 3

Print your image onto the tissue paper. If you have a small image you might want to make multiple copies of it on the same page so that if one gets screwed up, you don’t have to start all over.


Step 4

Cut out the image so that the tissue paper is no longer attached to the printer paper. Leave a border around the image (it will blend into the candle). If you want, you can glue the image onto the candle, but I just held it in place.


Step 5

Wrap the candle in wax paper. The wax paper keeps the image in place, and keeps the candle from getting too drippy.


Step 6

Blow dry it. Really. Just put your blow dryer on high and have at it. It’s pretty cool to see the tissue paper seem to disappear. Make sure that you get all of the areas of the image. Try not to focus to much on one spot because my candle got a bit misshapen. When all of the tissue paper looks like it’s gone and you just see the image, you’re done.


Step 7

Unwrap your awesome new candle. Then...


Step 8

 take pictures to show all your friends so they’ll know how awesomely crafty you are. 


xoxoxo
Nina


Song stuck in my head right now: Fix You - Coldplay

No comments: