Friday, August 28, 2015

Healthy Habits: Better Eating


Eating healthier is something that is always on my mind. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that get in the way of doing so successfully. One being that I love to eat, and sometimes I confuse delicious food with healthy food. 
I think that I struggle with the same types of problems that many others do, so I've done my research. Every so often I meet with a nutritionist and we have come up with some great ideas to eating healthier. I think they relate to a lot of people, so I want to share with you what I have learnt, lovely reader. 



Exercise and Then Eat Your Protein
I may be the least athletic person, but I try and get on the elliptical bike at home at least 3 times a week. The most important thing about exercising isn't just working out, but it is making sure you eat protein afterwards. I usually exercise in the morning, so I prepare myself a yogurt (greek yogurt always), and eat a bite or two beforehand to wake my system up. Then after I'm done I finish the yogurt, and that keeps my metabolism going for the rest of the day. It's a super healthy way to start your day, and get the most out of your workout. 

Boredom Eating
I suffer from boredom eating. If I'm sitting at home doing nothing I normally end up going into the kitchen and grabbing whatever I can find from the pantry. Or in school, if I'm sitting in class having trouble paying attention then I'll just grab any food from my bag and nosh away (but this does actually help me concentrate sometimes). This is a terrible habit which I hope I am not lonely in doing. The best way to fix this problem is to either go out and do something, whether that's going for a quick walk around the block or anything else to keep your mind occupied on something other than your stomach. Or you might actually be hungry, and in this case you can eat something. Just make sure that your snacking on something like fruits or vegetables and not chips and candy. 


Maintain Regularity
Something that really surprised me as being a way to eat healthier is actually to eat more frequently. Of course this doesn't mean snacking on unnecessary treats all day long. What this means is that when you eat more meals during the day it keeps your metabolism running and working hard. For example, never skip out on breakfast because it really is the most important meal of the day for your body to start running. Then, at least two hours after breakfast eat something else (preferably protein). You should never go more than three hours without giving your body something to digest, that way your metabolism doesn't get lazy or work slower.

Treat-Yo'Self
If you feel like you have been doing a really great job at eating healthy all week, then you have earned a "treat-yo'self" day. After a week of healthy eating and NO CHEATING go ahead and eat whatever you want once a week. That really means whatever you want. This tricks your system, and makes sure it doesn't stay at a steady pace or level out. Instead it ramps your metabolism up for a day. That way, the rest of your healthy week is a breeze for your body. 

xoxoxo
Nina


Song stuck in my head right now: Perfect - P!nk

No comments: