Friday, July 17, 2015

Helpful Tips: 5 Ways To Survive NYC Rush-Hour


I am lucky enough to be spending this summer in New York City. I'm staying with my Grandma in New Jersey, but my internship takes place in Soho, so there is a lot of commuting involved on a daily basis. It's taken me about two weeks, but I have finally come up with a few strategies that are key to having a more efficient and enjoyable morning (and afternoon) commute. Some of these tips and tricks apply most directly to commuters in New York, but I hope that they may also be helpful in any other situation where you need to be get through the mess that is rush-hour

1. Timing is Everything
Plan ahead and leave yourself plenty of extra time. If your commute consists of taking the subway be especially aware of your timing because you never know when your train might be delayed or just take forever to get to your destination. Better safe than sorry. Once you get off the train, if you have extra time, then you can slow down your pace and maybe even grab a cup of coffee. 

2. Avoid the First Car
During rush-hour in the middle of the summer, the worst place to be is in a crowded subway car. In order to avoid this hot, sweaty and sticky situation, try walking along the platform till you get to an emptier car and enjoy the AC.



3. Don't Initiate Awkward Eye-Contact 
One thing that I love doing is people watching and there is no better place than New York to do so. Unfortunately on the subway, looking at somebody sitting across from you leads to some pretty awkward eye-contact. The way I avoid doing that is by paying attention to people's shoes instead. What people wear on their feet is really interesting because their shoes show a lot about the person's personalities.


4. Decide First, Then Dine
Grabbing lunch in the city is one of my favorite activities, but long lines and small spaces require a lot of quick decisions. I am particularly indecisive when it comes to food, so before my lunch break I have already decided my plan of action. I go online and find the place I want, find the online menu, and deliberate what to eat before I get to the cafe. This enables me to make a speedy order and get in and out of the cafe as quickly as possible.

5. Push For Your Path
During rush-hour, everyone has the same agenda, to get to their destination as quickly as possible. But when everyone is rushing around it makes it pretty hard to find a clear path on the sidewalk. The only way to walk the streets of New York without bumping into everyone is to look straight a head and just go. Don't worry about making room for other people because nobody else will worry about you. If you have to push your way through then just push.



xoxoxo
Nina


Song stuck in my head right now: Blue Moon - The Marcels

No comments: