Friday, July 24, 2015

Trends: The Cronut


Trends are powerful. And, they challenge our desire to be unique. I like to have my own style, but when I go shopping I sometimes have an urge to buy something because I see other people wearing it. But then I can't tell if I like the top or shoe, or if I want it because it is what everyone else is wearing. I might cave and buy it, convincing myself it's what I really want. Other times, I remember that I am trying to be the best possible me and not the me that's just like everyone else. 
On the flip side, trends don't have to make us less special. Doing what others are doing can be fun, and maybe it will lead us to try new things or learn something new about ourselves. 
One trend that surprised me this summer in New York was the 'Cronut' craze. The first time I walked past the Dominique Ansel Bakery on Spring street, I noticed a long line of people standing outside. I was instantly curious about what they were waiting for. Sure enough, that special something was the bakery's own invention. The Cronut was invented in May of 2013 by chef Dominique Ansel. It is described as a Donut-Croissant hybrid. Each month the bakery features a new flavor that has kept customers interested for the past two year. Some start standing on line as early as 7:30 for the 9:00 am opening.
I passed the bakery every morning for a month before I decided to try it. 
As I waited online, I realized I had no idea what to expect. I googled 'Cronut' and went into the bakery to seen them in person, but I had no idea what it would taste. This month's flavor is rum caramelized banana with brown sugar ganache. I don't love bananas and I have no idea what 'ganache' means! 
It was totally worth waiting for. It wasn't too banana-y and wasn't too sugary. The dough was light and flaky like a croissant, and with every bite custard oozed out. I loved it and ate the whole thing.
I am not a food critic, so I can't help but wonder if the reason I have such rave reviews is because I was just following the trend. Just like shopping for the trendy top, did I actually like it or did I convince my self I did?










xoxoxo
Nina


Song stuck in my head right now: Hasa Diga Eboi - Book of Mormon

No comments: