Friday, February 13, 2015

Healthy Habits: All Mixed Up, Yogurt Parfait




My last 'Healthy Habits' was about my daily cold brew oatmeal school lunch (on the days where I don't buy soup at school). But, I got a bit bored of taking that same thing every day, so I decided to change it up a bit. To be honest it is basically the same meal, but with yogurt instead of oatmeal. 
I have this thing where I need to plan out my school meals ahead of time, or else I spend hours staring at the fridge trying to find something I want to eat. If I have a routine then everything goes a lot faster and I'm always happy with my meal.
So this winter, I have been packing myself an unassembled yogurt parfait, but for the sake of this post I will show a step by step of what I put in it and how I assemble it. 

Step One: Yogurt
I use the healthiest of yogurts, greek yogurt. It has a ton of protein and other healthy stuff. But to be honest, I don't love greek yogurt plain. So I mix in a bunch of fruit and other miscellaneous foods to balance out the taste. 




Step Two: Raspberries
The first fruit I add to sweeten up the yogurt are some raspberries. I like raspberries in small amounts, so that is why I crush and mix them up inside the yogurt. This way the yogurt is not to yogurt-y and the raspberries are not to tart.





Step Three: Strawberries
One of my favorite fruits, the strawberry. I add a ton of these babies!


And the leftover tops don't go to waste, because...


...Lola loves strawberries too!


Step Four: Pomegranate Seeds
So this is usually the part where I add as many pomegranate seeds as I desire (another one of my faves), but sadly they are going out of season and we didn't have any in the house. Instead I added some coarsely ground flaxseeds and coconut flakes.



I then mix it all up and....Voila!!


It may not be the most beautiful yogurt parfait, but it sure is healthy and it tastes delicious!


xoxoxo
Nina



Song stuck in my head right now: High Hopes - Kodaline

No comments: