Friday, April 15, 2016

Life Update: San Fransisco


Last week was Exploration Week at my school, and I got to travel to San Fransisco. I'm not sure if anyone read my post from last year's explo week, but basically once a year my school organizes a week in the spring called Exploration Week. It is a week full of trips to places in the US (along with a few local Boston trips) that are supposed to give students a chance to travel and learn things about the world that they might not otherwise learn in school. There are trips such as 'The South Trip' where they get to travel through the south and learn about the Civil Rights Movement, or the 'NOLA' trip where they travel to New Orleans and help rebuild homes that were struck by Hurricane Katrina. The trip that I went on this year was 'Bay Area Protest Movement', which traveled to San Fransisco, California to learn about activism during the time of the AIDS epidemic.

Not only was it a lot of fun going to the Bay Area and being in a warmer climate, but it was also one of the most educational trips I could have gone on. We met with a handful of speakers who lived through the epidemic and lost their friends and partners, and they told us about their struggles and how they overcame. We learnt about what AIDS really is, how it is received, and how to prevent from getting the disease. 

If you ever get the chance to travel somewhere, I really suggest learning about the history of where you are and meeting with locals. It made the trip even more amazing than if we were just there as tourists. Also, I got a lot of great photos from the trip and I thought you might enjoy them!








xoxoxo
Nina


Song stuck in my head right now: Schools Out For Summer by Alice Cooper


No comments: